Monday 13 June 2011

In Living Colour


Hip, hip hooray!   No you haven't accidentally clicked onto a kids birthday blog....I am beyond excited to tell you all about Estee Lauder's new Even Skintone Illuminator. What's the big deal I hear you all cry?
 
Well, while women of colour have been represented in global advertising skincare and fashion campaigns like Dove Real Beauty and Benetton...as far as cosmetics industry have been concerned in the UK, until recently the joys of being able to pick up a foundation in the right shade, would have been just about as likely as finding George Clooney on special offer in aisle 9  at the supermarket !
 
This is despite the UK ethic beauty market being estimated as being worth £70 million. Lauder's decision to integrate its print launch with a digital platform on Facebook is by no means unusual.
 
However, just like  the recent Oscar De La Renta perfume launch, where selecting 'like' guaranteed the viewer a free sample - old school, but engaging.
 
Lauder has tapped into the beauty of creative, interactive engagement of its audience (film, games, skincare forum)  prior to the product winging its way onto the shelves.
 
As well as appealing to its existing customer base, Lauder has acquired a brand new customer base,  seduced by the lure of its mighty multi-ethnicity Illuminator.
 
The entry of Lauder the high end 'black' cosmetics market , along with YSL Touche Eclat's illuminator for black and mixed race skin (after a 20 year wait! ) Yes my cup truly runneth over!  
 
Available exclusively at Selfridges from this week and nationwide from July, the Lauder Illuminator provides a healthy spot of competition for the likes of Bobbi Brown, MAC and Iman and more importantly ensures, a wider selection of products for women of colour to choose from.
 
So is it any good?  Hell yeah !! Being the diva that I am, I wasn't content to wait until UK launch day, so I got Ms P to send me a Beauty SOS special delivery from NY, starring Lauder's Even Skin Tone Illuminator.
 
Any product that boosts it can improve skin tone by up to 62% in just 2 weeks is enough to grab my attention.
  
Having battled my way hrough a pretty heavy bout of teenage acne, followed by that enemy of adult skin.....adult acne...,(how much skin invasion can one diva take!) my skin was definitely in need of a little TLC!
 

I have oily skin and the oil-free formula was perfect for me. The Illuminator lotion consistency is very light and instantly sinks into your skin. The pump dispenser allows you to accurately apply the lotion, without wasting any.

I found that by dotting it onto my skin and then gently dabbing it in, my whole face was evenly covered. For those of you who hate heavily scented skin creams, the Illuminator won't disappoint. The scent is very subtle and barely discernable. As with all Estee packaging is attractive, practical and won't take up too much space in the bathroom.

So Does It Work?

I've been using it for just over a week now and already I am noticing a difference. My skin has definitely brightened up.  There is a luminous quality to it that I've always craved, but so far never managed to achieve except when my make-up has been professionally applied.

The darker pigmentation spots, I have left over from my acne haven't  magically vanished, but they have definitely lightened and that in my eyes is a result.  I'll keep you posted on whether things keep going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment